Re: How does FEC work on the ADDERII without PHY package being called!!surprise!!

there are some points that need some clarification.
i have added my comments below so...dear community, do
shed some light on this...

> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 05:37, jason kole wrote:
> > hi community,
> > i was surpised to see FEC work on ADDERII without
> the
> > code for the phy chip(AM79C874)being actually
> being
> > compiled.
> > the support for the PHY chip is under the
> following
> > package.
> >
> > cdl_package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_PHY {
> >     display       "Ethernet transciever (PHY)
> support"
> >     description   "API for ethernet PHY devices"
> >
> >     parent        CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
> >     active_if     CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
> >
> >     include_dir   cyg/io
> >
> >     compile eth_phy.c
> >
> >      cdl_option CYGHWR_DEVS_ETH_PHY_AM79C874 {
> >         display       "AMD 79C874"
> >         flavor        bool
> >         default_value 0
> >         compile       -library=libextras.a
> AM79C874.c
> >         description "
> >           Include support for AMD 79C874 NetPHY"
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > but the package shown above is either included
> under
> > the target adderII in ecos.db and nor in the
> > adderII_redboot_ROMRAM.ecm file.
> > Infact the above package is never called at all.
>
> That port has not been updated to include PHY
> handling, sorry.
> It's harmless to leave it out as the PHY happily
> runs without
> being touched.  The main reason for having it is to
> be
> able to detect whether or not the device is plugged
> in...

If the PHY runs without it, why do we need the have
the above PHY package or any PHY package when porting
to a new board which is almost same as the adder
except for a different PHY device?

The reason given that it is there to be able to detect
whether or not the device is plugged in ,does not make
real sense because the above package is not at all
compiled for the Adder board. So how will it detect
whether or not the device is plugged in.

> > so what i wanted to know was
> > 1)how does the FEC work without the PHY support on
> the
> > Adder card and
> > 2)how do we add support for a new PHY chip if our
> > porting to a new board is based on the AdderII
> source?
>
> You'll need to have a line mentioning a different
> PHY in your CDL.
> Look at the MOAB ethernet drivers to see how this
> can be done.

In which CDL file should the line be mentioned and
how.i am asking this for the simple reason that MOAB
ethernet drivers are not based on FEC as in the case
of ADDER which uses a MPC852T.

Moreover including CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_PHY in target moab
as in ecos.db looks fishy because the MOAB is using a
different phy (DP83816)than that defined in
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_PHY. <i am not very sure abt this fact
but this is what i have understood from the code,
plz do correct me if i am wrong :)>