Re: fdopen() linker error

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 10:49, Ãyvind Harboe wrote:
> > > You need to add the fileio package I think
> > > look at the ifdef around fdopen() in
> > > language/c/libc/stdio/current/src/common/fopen.cxx
> >
> > Ouch, I should have figured that one out.
> >
> > Is it the intended behaviour that there is only an error link time and
> > not at compile time?
>
> There should be a compile time error if you build with -Wall
> Otherwise, C blissfully (cute, huh(1)?) will compile anything
> and not complain until you try to link it.
>
> (1) The "C" language was derived from the "B" language which
> descended (not directly) from a language called "bliss" :-)

That is not quite true. C was derived from B, but B was derived from
BCPL. BCPL was created by Martin Richards as a system programming
language and itself was a simplification of CPL (hence _B_asic _CPL_).

The C/Unix people at Bell Labs encountered BCPL while they and Martin
were all working together on the Multics project. When Bell Labs
withdrew they took some of the Multics ideas to make Unix and some
BCPL ideas to make B and then C.

Some of the eCos maintainers were tought by Martin Richards, or (at
least in my case) worked along side him, in the Cambridge Computer
Laboratory. We like to keep the record straight.

Bliss was a CMU/DEC system programming language, used to implement
VAX/VMS.