Re: Error: Socket was forcibly closed by remote host

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:50:31PM +0530, Vijay Padiyar wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> In our current setup, the Redboot monitor gets its IP address from a DHCP
> server probably (it's certainly not our BOOTP server) coz the IP address
> keeps on varying.
>
> Whereas for the application image, we're using BOOTP to get the IP address
> and we have our BOOTP server installed on a computer on the network. So the
> IP addresses for Redboot and the application are different. However, the two
> IP addresses are from different subnets. The IP address assigned by DHCP to
> Redboot is something like 192.168.128.210 (last part varies) and the IP
> address configured by us in our BOOTP server is 192.168.144.200. Could the
> different subnets (192.168.128.xxx and 192.168.144.xxx) be causing any
> problems by any chance??

It should not cause this problem. You might have problems later if
your gateway is not configured correctly to have two subnets on one
physical net.

> Everything else is as you've suggested it should be. Thanks for your help!

Look at the sources for your bootp server. Find out what it means by
the error it is giving. bootp is based on UDP, so there is no
connection between the client and the server, so the error seems
strange to me. Understanding the error will probably get you a big
step towards finding the problem.

        Andrew