FAT FS questions

The application we are in the process of porting to eCos has the capability of "attrib +R", making files read-only. (We require booting into DOS to turn off the read-only bit if that is necessary.) We could not find a mechanism in eCos for this. We were looking into adding it, when we decided we should first check and see if the FAT FS even honored the read only attribute. Low and behold it does not. Was this deliberately left out? For now we have added checking in all of our application code to verify that a file is writable first. I don't have any practical experience in any of the other file systems supported by eCos to know if this is "normal". But I would think that most people would assume a read-only file, is read-only. We use the attribute to protect configuration files which we upload to our target.

Thanks
David Brennan