Redboot from scratch

Hi:

I am about to boot a new design, and I have no way of pulling the
flash chips for programming but I do have a "wiggler" type of
device, that I can use to load and run an elf program into my target.

Before using an in-circuit flash programmer I considered the option
of compiling a RAM version of RedBoot, download that with the Wiggler
and then using this version of RedBoot to store a more permanent
ROM version in flash. This way I can take advantage of the good
support that RedBoot already has for different flash devices.

I tried to do this, but I was not successful. I do not seem to be
able to compile Redboot so that, when downloaded, it locates itself at
the start of memory (I am using a PowerPC). There is always an offset
added to it, although the actual code seems to be compiled to run in
the right place (yes, I disassembled some of the early code...)

All the documentation I read seems to rely on the fact that the
target already has a working Redboot, or that is can be "flashed in"
by means of an expternal programmer.

Before I expend more effort into this, I would like to know if it is
even possible, and if it is, whether there is someone out that that
can share some ideas.

Thanks
Tony