Saving application state

Hi:

I am interested in saving the state of an application(mutithreaded) , so that
it can be started at a later time from a point where its state was last saved.
I understand I'll have save state of all threads in application. Which will
basically be each threads stack. Can I use HAL_Savedregisters which is used
in context switching for this, or is using setjmp()/ long jmp better.

Also I am confused where exactly are global variables of application stored
and how do store heap .

Any comments/help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ruchika