Re: USB Host support with ecos

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 06:58:21PM +0100, Jean Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I thought to a solution like adding an external USB host controller to
> the microcontroller which runs eCOS. I know that ATMEL has a chip called
> AT43USB380 which can be connected to a system processor through a
> parrallel interface (adress, data, ctrl). ATMEL provides a free software
> suite which is independant from the embedded OS and the system
> processor. This software suite includes the "standards USB class device
> drivers (ANSI C APIs)",  "ANSI C compliant system interface APIs (to
> write the device driver)", and the "On-chip USB Firmware stack" which is
> embedded on the AT43USB380 for the low level USB protocol.
>
> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc3452.pdf
>
> Well, I'm new in device driver writing and USB host..
>
> Is it feasible to add the USB host functionality with this solution ?
> If yes, how much time could it take to develop the device driver under
> ecos ?

It looks feasible, but without being able to see the source code its
hard to say how much work is involved. Can you just reuse one of the
existing class drivers or do you need something custom? What do you
expect to be on the other end of the USB link? If you have full
control over the device its not too bad. If you want to talk to off
the shelf devices it then gets tricky because you might need specific
drivers for each manufactures extended features or propriatary
interfaces. Normally the information to do this is not available.

        Andrew