Re: Thread-aware debugging w/ Redboot on ARM?

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:19, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Is thread aware debugging using Redboot/eCos on ARM supported?
> I've searched the documentation and mailing list, and can only
> find vague references that thread-aware debugging is supported
> on "some platforms".  I can't find anywhere that lists what
> platforms are supported and which thread-aware features are
> supported.

Which platforms support this is merely a function of which ones
have it configured in, i.e. it's platform independent.  Note: I
do see that some platforms have this explicitly disabled.  This
is possibly just for size reasons (I'm not sure)  At first glance,
it appears that most of the ARM platforms do enable it.

> What exactly is included in "thread awareness" when using
> GDB/Redboot?  Two featuers in particular come to mind:
>
>  * Set breakpoints that are specific to a thread?

Yes, along with backtraces, register states, etc.

Try the command 'info threads' from GDB.  If you get a nice display,
then your platform has it built into RedBoot.

>  * Stop/step one thread while others contunue to run?  [I assume
>    not, since it looks like GDB doesn't support this concept.]

Correct - this is not supported as it would require a completely
different debug model.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates