Re: Re: Can someone fix this mailing list?

John Dallaway wrote:
[...]
List behaviour is indeed a matter of personal preference. Personally, I am firmly against the setting of the Reply-To header by list management software. The following page gives a concise set of arguments against such behaviour:

and equally, this alternate page sets a list of arguments why it is considered useful:
http://i.am.haze.cx/mirrors/reply-to-useful.htm

The strongest argument IMHO for the change by far is to keep discussions on the list and stop the continual "reply to the list" messages that we see. As I said before, the current behaviour IMHO is counter-productive to keeping discussions on the list, something that is continually advocated by the maintainers.

The second strongest argument IMHO is duplicate emails. Not everyone uses procmail or UNIX for their email.

Why dont we be democratic about this and put it to the vote?

Rather than spam this list, or spend time setting up a web vote portal, I spent all of 3 minutes setting up a crude procmail filter to count the number of unique email addresses (on the assumption that each voter will use only one email address ;-) sent to these voting emails addresses. The message body and subject will just be ignored, so send email to
vote.yes@ecoscentric.com
if you want the reply-to field to be changed and
vote.no@ecoscentric.com
if you dont want a change. If you don't care, you can do nothing or even email
vote.dontcare@ecoscentric.com

Hopefully the result will put an end to this age-old debate :-)

-- Alex