Re: "hello world" example crashes on synthetic linux target

    Tom> I'm compiling the hello.c example provided with eCos, using
    Tom> the linux synthetic target (default template).

    Tom> When I run the resulting object, it prints "Hello, eCos
    Tom> world!" then throws core.
    <snip>

    >> Is this with a recent kernel? There has been a change somewhere in the
    >> Linux kernel's signal handling. When the synthetic target's SIGALRM
    >> handler returns back to the Linux kernel it will give a SEGV, like the
    >> above. The same eCos executable running on an older Linux kernel works
    >> fine. I have not yet tracked down exactly what has changed.

    Andrew> Hi Bart

    Andrew> I'd not noticed this. My 2.6.10 kernel seems to work fine with
    Andrew> eCos. Is this a problem with a specific vendor kernel? Plain 2.4?

I have noticed it with 2.6.9-1.667, on a system running Fedora Core 3.
I don't know what other versions are affected. If it works again with
2.6.10 it may be easier to just upgrade the kernel rather than try to
figure out how to make the synthetic target work with a temporarily
broken kernel.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect