Re: The performance of ethernet driver and freebsd stack is not good

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 06:57:20PM +0800, Jack wrote:
> Thanks for your respose.
>
> My MCU is W90N740 which MAC device is built in.
> I have checked the driver that using DMA and modified it from ks32c5000.
> I would also like to know what the best performance of TCP/IP on ecos?

It depends on the hardware. A i386 machine which is actually a 1.4GHz
Pentium is obviously going to do better than a 20Mhz ARM. The
interface between the CPU and the network device will also make a
difference, along with the size of the cache etc.

> And I try the Samsung SNDS100 development board using the same TCP/IP stack.
> The performance is worse ,throughput is about 5Mb/s.

Firstly make sure you understand what the test is doing. You said you
used the tcp_echo test on eCos. What did you compare it with on Linux?
Did you port this program to Linux and run it there? What do the
figures actually mean? You say you got 5Mb/s. The device running
tcp_echo will both transmit and receive packets, so does that 5Mbit/s
mean it is acutally transfering 10Mbits/s?

> Can I say that it isn't suitable for networking purpose on ecos?

Depends what you want to do with the network? 5Mb/s is great compared
to a 52000 baud serial line for uploading new images to the
device. But if your application is a video camera and you need to pump
DVD quality video over the network then you will have problems.

        Andrew