Re: AW: redboot and failed boot switchover

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:15:50PM -0500, alfred hitch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I did some more reading of the docs and could some one here correct my
> understanding, in case it is wrong :
>
> I saw that in the mtd/maps/BOARD_file.c
> the maps we create as static maps .. can be overwritten by the redboot
> config section maps .. this is being done as part of flash_init code
> ..
>
> So, any jffs2 based images I copy from network / store on flash using
> fis create from redboot should be visible here .. ?
> The only thing I have to do is build the kernel with
> CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTITIONS which should basically be make xconfig;
> (redboot partitions .... option ) ??
>
> I understand that reading / writting to this partition from user space
> is trivial ..
> but say, I want to update a variable which is like a count or
> something from the redboot before it executed the boot script .. how
> to do that .. as in what sys_calls / function calls to look for in
> redboot code, which I can use and which file vectos.S ?? I can patch
> (preferrably  some C file ) to read / write this variable ..

In eCos you have the usual POSIX file API, open, read, write, close
etc.  What you need to do is add your own little command which does
the file manipulation for you. Adding commands is easy, just take a
look at how all the other commands are implemented in
packages/redboot.

        Andrew