Re: ecosconfig build problem

Gary Thomas wrote:

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 09:10 -0700, Bill wrote:

Gary Thomas wrote:

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 08:30 -0700, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:

Gary Thomas wrote:

Thanks for the tip. It will probably answer some of my other redboot questions.

I got around the 'catch 22' type build problem late last night by deleting all files of the form ...a.deps from packages/hal/powerpc/arch/current.They appeared to be stale for some reason.

The workaround statement was premature. The problem appears to be sets of .deps and associated .o and .o.d files which do not get updated when I change targets. I can make things work by deleting enough of them, but that can't be right. Here is my rattler build script. Do you see anything obviously wrong ??

ecosconfig new rattler redboot
ecosconfig import /vobs/ecos/ecos/packages/hal/powerpc/rattler/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
ecosconfig tree
make -s
ls -l install/bin

The build fails due to no rule to make target hal_powerpc_mpc82xx.h which is not part of the rattler definition. It is used only by my p150 build which is completely separate.

Any time you change targets, you should start with a totally
empty build tree/environment.  The build system has known flaws
that don't handle such radical changes in dependencies and only
works correctly from a clean tree.

OK, that makes sense given what is happening. Is 'make clean' supposed to do that ?? It doesn't seem to. It looks like I need to write a script to delete all .deps, .o and .o.d files from the repository before I change targets. Anything else I should look out for ??

I hope you aren't building in your source repository!! You should always use a separate directory for building. e.g.

% export ECOS_REPOSITORY=/sources/ecos/packages
% mkdir /work/ecos_build
% cd /work/ecos_build
% ecosconfig new rattler redboot

Guilty as charged. Ignorance is not always bliss. Cleaned up the source repository and made separate areas for the p150 and rattler. BTW, the source repository actual source elements are protected in our environment. We use clearcase for source control so you can't accidently modify the source code.

Thanks for the help.