Fw: using the multi-ice-gdb-server, non only with ARM Multi-ICE

Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 11:05 PM

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to debug the ECOS under the EDB9302 board via JTAG emulator
> (UNetICE by Embest).

The UNetICE JTAG emulator made by Embest communicates with ADP (Angel Debug
Protocol)
with host debugger (arm-elf-gdb) during a debugging session. To
debug under "arm-elf-gdb" I first need to configure the UNetICE to TCP/IP
communication type. After that check if the UNetICE is accessible in the
network use ping <IPADDR>. If the UNetICE works correctly you can now run
"arm-elf-gdb" debugger. Because the UNetICE communicates using ADP,
you therefore need to use the "target rdi e=<IPADDR>" option in the
"arm-elf-gdb" to
link to UNetICE  JTAG emulator. See below my test example under EDB9302
board by CIRRUS.

$ arm-elf-gdb
GNU gdb 5.3
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf".
(gdb) target rdi e=192.168.0.160
Embest ICE Server For ARM V1.2
Embest Info&Tech Co.,Ltd.
www.embedinfo.com
Released build April 20 2004
Device: Embest UNet ICE.
Connected to ARM RDI target.
(gdb) set *(int*)0x80840020=0x0   <-- turn off led's on the board
(gdb) set *(int*)0x80840020=0x1   <-- turn on green led (LED1)
(gdb)

I have a question:
To debug the redboot do I need to initialize the CLOCK, SDRAM, MMU and then
load the redboot image into the RAM? Does anybody know if this is the way to
do this for EDB9301 or EDB9302 boards?

> Can I build a multi-ice-gdb-server that will support not only the ARM
> Multi-ICE JTAG emulator, but another one as well?

The "multi-ice-gdb-server" utility is not required when using the UNetICE
JTAG emulator.

Best Regards,
Alexey