Re: Adding a different phy to IXP425

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 22:09 -0800, Michael Sprauve wrote:
> Hello
> I have a custom IXP425 board based on the Intel reference design.
> Instead of using the Intel phys LXT97x, I am using a phy made by ADMTek
> ADM7001. There is little difference between the two chips other than the
> ID, so I made modified IxEthMii_p.h adding an entry for my new phy and
> modified IxEthMii.c to include the new entry, but when I run Redboot, it
> seems to find the phy and configure it correctly, but when I try to
> ping, I get so data being sent or received. I know the hardware works,
> because when I boot up linux, the phy is found and DHCP and everything
> else works. My question is: Is there anywhere else I need to modified to
> recognize the new phy

So RedBoot appears to find the PHY, but then fails to get from BOOTP
and/or ping doesn't work? I have seen behavior like this when RedBoot
is confused about which PHY is attached to which NPE port.

You have to tell RedBoot (in the platform specific bits of the NPE
eth support) which PHY is attached to which NPE port. IXDP425 uses
PHY 0 on NPE-B (eth0) and PHY 1 on NPE-C (eth1). So, in ixdp425_npe.inl
there is:

  #define CYGNUM_ETH0_PHY_NO    0
  #define CYGNUM_ETH1_PHY_NO    1

--Mark