RE: Splitting USB-Packets

Yes, I've wrestled with a few items in the USB Slave package myself. My
biggest problem in a driver for the Philips ISP1181 is that the endpoint
data structures aren't enumerated, or self-identifying, other than their
command function pointers. The 1181 has 14 identical, configurable
endpoints. The driver would be considerably more flexible and compact if  I
could have set all the start & halt functions to generic versions, then used
the endpoint number when handling the request. Or something like that.

Also, if there were a generic ioctl() that could be handled by the driver
and/or endpoints, it could take care of application-specific items (like
witholding the zero packet) and configuring the device's interfaces or
endpoints.

I believe the eCos USB Slave package was designed & implemented when the USB
chips were still fairly rigid (and buggy). Now that some are getting more
flexible, perhaps the slave package should be modified to support them.

As for the Windows stuff, I'm no driver expert, but in my driver, if I sumit
a URB for a 4k IN (read) and I do a 4k transfer from the device, I ALWAYS
get back 4032 bytes. I need to do a second read, which then returns the
remaining 68 bytes. Never asked why. I just keep reading till I get what I
expected or an error occurs.

Frank Pagliughi
Software & Systems Engineer
SoRo Systems, Inc