Re: Installation problems - ECOS toolset on Windows platform

Andy Voelkel wrote:

I am trying to bring up the ECOS toolset on a Windows machine. After
carefully following the installation instructions on the ECOS website
(including the installation of the Cygwin tools), I tried to fire up the
configuration tool by double clicking on its icon in a Windows Explorer. I
got the message:

"This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

The file cygwin1.dll is indeed on my maching, in C:\progs\cygwin\bin. Is
this some sort of path or environment variable problem?

Yes. That is not in your path. And see comment below.

So, I thought I'd try invoking the configuration tool from a bash shell. I
negotiated my way to the directory containing the executable, and invoked
it. This time the graphic interface came up, spewed a bunch of text into its
output window, and closed itself. As best I can tell, many of the error
messages contained the string "this package does not have any valid version
subdirectories".

Did you set ECOS_REPOSITORY? Within whatever your basic installation directory (/opt/ecos) you should have a shell script ecosenv.sh (or ecosenv.csh). I recommend you run that after starting your bash shell.

Can anyone help me figure out what is causing these problems?

I imagine the answers to both of these are in the documentation. I don't have time to look now. But you should before asking.

While I'm at it, I might as well as whether there are many folks using
Windows as their ECOS development machine. ECOS is looking to be an
attractive RTOS choice, but I don't relish the idea of every developer
needing a second computer just so they can run the ECOS toolset from Linux.

The toolset works "fine" under windows. But you will find the command line interface is more useful in the long run. It is completely stable under windows. I have had some issues with the graphical tool. So I have given up on that. But I use the command-line version just fine under windows.

- Andy Voelkel