Re: Re: ECOS - MIPS

SW is a different concept. You make code  really faster but after 2 months you
cannot improve it. Also you write it in a really maintanainable way, but it
may consume too much space... vice versa...Modern SW is done with reusing the
architecture, not only reusing components or codes. There are plenty of
documents, you may read and learn. Embedded SW is behind the general PC
software. PC SW evolved so much, many problems are solved but embedded
systems are just popular and there are many problems to be solved. These
discussions are the result of this situation.

I just mention that eCOS didnt fullfill my needs. The only thing eCOS provides
is using reusable components like the ones in visual programming languages.
If u substract components, uCOS is much more usable than it if I compare it
with eCOS. uCOs is small, deterministic etc... For example i may write
components to uCOS and then it becomes eCOS :P (just a joke...)

Just examine the books :

+ Real Time Design Patterns
+ Patterns for Small Memory Systems
+ Pattern Oriented SW Architecture ..

they are the experiences of embedded SW developers. There are the things that
they know much better... I think Operating systems are the products that must
live longer. If you want your SW to live longer, you must learn new SW
concepts, you must apply them...

For example having an HAL layer as an architecture is not a new concept. Unix,
Linux and also Windows have HAL layers. Also HAL layer is a must for embedded
systems. eCOS is written in C++ . You may use Bridge or Adapter pattern to
build an HAL layer. ("Program for interfaces, not for the implementation" is
the main concept of modern SW. )

There are many operating systems that are done with C++. Have u ever examined
them ? For example Chorus, L4, Amobea... etc. They have new ideas,they try to
use new SW techniques.

PerÅembe 23 Haziran 2005 06:28 Ãs tarihinde, Grant Edwards ÅunlarÄ yazmÄÅtÄ: