ConfigTool as general library configurator

Is "configurator" a word? Anyway...

I'm working on a library that needs to support multiple platforms from a single code base using lots of conditional compilation, and I keep switching between Windows and Linux hosts. Now that the make files are getting completely out of control, I got to thinking about how nice it would be to have something like the graphical eCos Configtool to configure and recompile my library. Then I thought maybe the Configtool, itself, would work if I wrote a new "ecos.db" database for my library.

I've had some initial success, but there's still a couple hurdles:
- The Tools|Repository option takes the name of the source tree, rather than the database itself. The name of the database is hard-coded as "ecos.db"
- At least one Template is required even though the library may be simple enough to be defined easily with it's targets.
- The build requires link scripts, memory maps, and so on, while an application library archiver wouldn't need any of that. (I'm currently stuck on this one).
- It appears tied directly to the GNU tools, though with some tweaking should work with most command-line compilers.

I think if its tight integration with eCos were loosened a bit, it would be a great general-purpose, open-source, multi-platform, configurable build tool.Does any one else think so?

Or are you all just laughing at me?

Frank Pagliughi