Re: connecting a wi-fi lan card to a IXDP425 processor using the PCI slot

> level of work I am supposed to do. But all this was undecided when i
> took up my project. I have come to the mailing list to solve my
> problem.

OK. If you really want to do this, i suggest you get hold of the books :

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1, The Protocols, W. Richard Stevens - ISBN
0-201-63346-9 TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2, The Implementation, Gary
R. Wright, W. Richard Stevens - ISBN 0-201-63354-X

These two books are really good at explaining TCP/IP and the
implementation in BSD systems. To get this working you are going to
have to get deeply involved with the insides of TCP/IP and being able
to debug TCP/IP when you have bugs in your port.

I also suggest you get hold of another desktop machine and install
FreeBSD and make 802.11 networking work. You want to be able to
compile the kernel from sources and be able to debug them. You will be
using this as a reference platform. You can compare how things work on
this platform compared to what happens when you have bugs in your port
on eCos.

I also suggest you put your target hardware away for the moment and
use the synthetic version of ecos running on top of linux. You will
find that platform much easier to use and debug. Get the networking
working properly with synth, make sure you can run all the network
tests etc.

Gary Thomas can probably give you the clean FreeBSD sources he started
his port from. Diff'ing between those clean sources and the current
eCos sources will give you can idea what had to be changed to get the
FreeBSSD stack into eCos. You will need similar changes in your new
port. Applying the diff will get you some way in the right direction,
but i expect there will be conflicts you need to fix. Your aim is to
get the existing network tests working with the new TCP/IP stack. You
can probably forget about 802.11 for the moment. You can come back to
that once TCP/IP is working over ethernet.

That should be enought to keep you busy for a while.

        Andrew