Re: Kmalloc from ethernet driver

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 12:50:00PM -0700, mkhoyila@uci.edu wrote:
> Yes, this is an eCos question. Can I use Kmalloc in my driver? If not how
> to you allocate memory to dma buffer pool? I there another way to allocate
> memory to the dma buffers? Thanks.

Nope. kmalloc is a linux function. It does not exist in eCos.

Take a look at other device drivers which use dma. It also depends a
lot on the target processor and what restrictions it places on
DMA'able memory, setting up the cache controller etc.

Another thing to be aware of. You cannot port a Linux device driver to
eCos because of license issues. Linux is GPL were as eCos is a
modified version of the GPL. If you port a Linux device driver its GPL
license infects the rest of eCos and the application so everything
becomes GPL. You then have to give out the sources to your application
which might not be what you want.

        Andrew