RE: Simple Redboot Q's

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com]
Sent: 26 July 2005 16:00
To: Matt Sartori
Cc: Andrew Lunn; eCos Discussion
Subject: RE: [ECOS] Simple Redboot Q's

>Unless your code is position independent (or very smart), this is most
certainly your problem.

Ok, good. That's something I can look at then.
Redboot, despite being a ROM build, says it's using RAM from 0x20000000
to 0x20005b68, so I've made
my linker script place CODE at 0x20005b68 and DATA at 0x20008000 (with a
total RAM range of 0x10000).
This, I take it, is only significant if I load it as an elf. And, again
if I understand correctly, when loaded as -r it just goes where I put
it.
Obviously there's still something I don't understand correctly 'cause it
doesn't work.
Is the entry point usually different from the fist address?

>What's wrong with using eCos to help you build your program?

Nothing as such, but a) I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, b)
linking against anything adds to the size and, since I've yet to write
the flash drivers, I've only got 64K of memory (less what Redboot is
using up) for my program, c) I was looking to use Redboot only as a
bootloader to update my custom software and run it.

>n.b. this is an eCos list, so we're oriented that way :-)

Understandibly so. It's a very impressive system and one I'm hoping to
eventually grok.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you received this in error, please contact the sender or postmaster (postmaster@hanoverdisplays.com) and delete the material from any computer.

Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should check this e-mail and any attachment for viruses. We make no warranty as to absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments.

Our Company's email policy is to permit incidental personal use. If this email is of a personal nature, it must not be relied upon as expressing the views or opinions of the company.

Visit out website at www.hanoverdisplays.com