Re: link loss/detection at runtime

Thanks Steve.

Thats exactly where I had just got to, can't see a better way of doing it.

Could you give an example of what's in your pfn_proc_link_status. I am assuming I can copy code snippets out of the dhcp code to work out how to bring the interface up and down.

Cheers,

Will

Steve Strublic wrote:

We had a similar issue at my company. We ended up hooking FEC_ETH_PHY_INT, writing an ISR/DSR combination, and running a thread to allow calls to phy_read(). In the thread, we read the contents of the link status register when notified by the DSR that the status has changed. This also allowed us to have multiple notifiers execute upon link status change.

Something like:

phy_ok = phy_read(PHY_BMSR2, FEC_ETH_PHY, &mii_reg17);

if (mii_reg17 & PHY_BMSR2_LINK)
      link_up_status=true;
else
      link_up_status=false;

(pfn_proc_link_status)(link_up_status) ;

There may be (probably is) an easier solution, but this one worked for us.

HTH,

Steve

--------

"A chicken doesn't stop scratching just because the worms are scarce." - Grandma Soderquist's
Conclusion

will_wagner@carallon.com Sent by: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sou To rceware.org ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org cc 07/26/2005 05:07 AM Subject [ECOS] link loss/detection at runtime

Hi All,

Are there any examples of ethernet drivers that cope with link
loss/detection after the drivers have been initialised? I am using an
MPC860 with AMD PHY. I have hunted through the source but can't find any
examples of this.

If not can anyone point me to what needs to be done in the bsd stack to
bring an interface up/down following a change in link status.

Thanks,

Will