RE: which gcc toolchain to use ?

Gary,

As i said earlier ... my redboot hangs in do_version.  (at the place
where the RAM range is printed).
I thought may be optimization flag was playing around..(as was in the
case of v4.0).  So just tried
removing it.

Even then how can optimization flag effect the working of redboot as a
whole ?

Andrew,

I just went around looking for the toolchain and i came across this "
... some problems with gnu
tools on cygwin... ecos on cygwin is not supported... "

And Now i have this doubt "Development on cygwin?" or "Development on
linux?".  Although i am
more comfortable working on windows, i would definitely like to avoid
extra work needed (if its
the case) to make it work using cygwin.

regards
hasha