Re: eCos Grub Problem

Please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
benefit of any information.

"raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:

>  Hi nick,
>
>     I am new to this eCos field and am trying to get redboot from my grub . I tried many ways to get it but was not been able to .
>
>      I saw ur reply mail for this grub queries . I done the same way but it is saying file not found .
>
> "   title RedBoot
>    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/redboot
>
> I'm not sure that the --type is necessary, GRUB is smart enough to
> work out that it has an ELF file.
>
> Note that when running standard applications, diagnostic output will
> only go to the serial lines, not the screen. Set
> CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL_DEFAULT to 2 to get screen
> output.
>
>       "
>
>     This was one such mail reply u gave . i too done like that but was not been able to .
> "
> title eCos
>         root (hd0,1)
>         keernel /boot/grub/redboot.elf
> title eCos1
>         root (hd0,1) /boot/grub/grb.elf
>
>       " but none worked out .
>
>     can u tell me where i went wrong

1. I assume that "keernel" above is a typo in the email and does not
   appear in the real menu.lst file.

2. Make sure you have built RedBoot for GRUB startup, other versions
   of RedBoot will not boot from GRUB.

3. If GRUB is saying "file not found" then there is probably something
   wrong with the pathname. I'm not sure why you have put the
   redboot.elf file in the /boot/grub directory rather than the /boot
   directory. Also check that the disk/partition specifier is correct.

4. You might need to drop into the GRUB command line to try out
   various things to see what is going on.

5. Try booting from a floppy disk rather than the hard disk. That way
   you have total control over the contents of the disk. Once you have
   things working from a floppy, you should better understand what you
   need to do for the hard disk.

Apart from that, I cannot think of anything else to suggest.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts