Re: Re: eCos Grub Problem

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Nick Garnett wrote:

Again, please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
benefit of any information.

"raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:

Let me explain u the procedure how i got the redboot.elf

   i used the configtool .
   The template - i386 PC target with RTL8139 ethernet
	package- redboot

import the file /opt/cvs/packages/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_GRUB.ecm

   In the Options eCos-Hal -> i386-architecture -> i386-PC target ->
      changing Default Console channel -> 2
               Diagnostic serial port

Then build the library.

     And from the _intall/bin i will get the rredboot.elf file
     and this is placed into /boot

      In the /etc/grub.conf
     "title eCos1
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/redboot.elf
     title Fedora Core-up (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img "

Is there any change i have to do .

I am getting the " Error15 : File not found "

Please do tell where i went wrong .

My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it is not the right place to put new boot options.

Are you also sure that (hd0,1) is the right partition?

Whatever is going on, it is to do with GRUB failing to find the named file.
It currently has nothing to do with the way that RedBoot was built,
which looks OK to me.

I would strongly suggest experimenting with GRUB booting from a floppy
disk.

To my knowledge, on Fedora Core which Ragavendra has, /etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf

So any changes in /etc/grub.conf are reflected properly in
/root/grub/grub.conf

So the problem is that :

	1. We have Redboot.elf in /boot directory
	2. We have the above mentioned menu.lst
	3. When we boot we get the afore mentioned output.

So far we have executed a few applications by putting redboot on the floppy, then booting the i386 PC, using TFTP to retrieve the application
and the execute it from redboot.

No when we use grub, do we have to boot redboot from grub and then execute the application.

Can I not have the setup such that the application directly starts running without a ROM Monitor.

In that case my menu.lst will be
	Title eCos Application (Hello)
		kernel (hd0,1)/boot/Hello

BTW : It is indeed (hd0,1) because on doing df -h we get
      /dev/hda2 as our boot partition.

Thank you for your patience.

- Vamshi