Re: Reboot flashing from eCos system?

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 18:28 +0200, Stefan Sommerfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> coming back to this, because i really need a solution. I tried to load a
> RAM based RedBoot out of my ROM based RedBoot without any luck. Is there a
> way to build a "CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR" RAM based RedBoot? I made a
> RedBoot which allows me to flash the first sector, but it reports: "Sorry,
> 'RedBoot' is a reserved image and cannot be deleted".

There should not be any reason to do so.  Simply build the RAM version
of RedBoot, including the FLASH (and maybe network) drivers.  Then
when you run it, you'll have complete control and can write to any
portion of the FLASH.  This is common practice - I do it all the time.

Note: there should not be any reason to try and delete the image called
"RedBoot" (which is obviously what you tried although you didn't say
so).  You can safely overwrite it with the new contents.  For example,
after booting into a RAM version:

  RedBoot> lo -b 0x100000 RedBoot.ROM
  RedBoot> fi cr RedBoot

If you want to rewrite the whole FLASH, you could do something like:

  RedBoot> lo -b 0x100000 -r FLASH.image
  RedBoot> fi wr -f 0xFC000000 -b 0x100000 -l 0x1000000

(of course, these values and addresses are just examples, you'd need
to fill in the specifics for your platform yourself).  If you don't
have enough RAM to hold the whole FLASH image, simply perform multiple
load/fi command pairs to cover the whole thing.