Re: Redboot in a Router

Andrew Potter wrote:
Hi folks,

A couple of questions regarding Redboot.

	I have an Inventel manufactured Livebox ADSL Modem/Router that uses
Redboot.

	As I understand it, this software is released under a GPL compatible
license and this means that Inventel must release the source code for
every version of Redboot  used in the Livebox to me (as I have a Livebox
and they have released a binary of it in a firmware update) if I request
it. Is this true ?

Since they didn't supply source with the product, they must include a written offer to supply the source, as per GPL clause 3. If there was no such offer, that is already a violation.

You, and in fact anyone, is entitled to the GPL covered source code for any binary containing GPL'd code, if it didn't already come with sources. Which is indeed the case here.

So, in other words.... yes :).

	I have tried requesting the source code for the version used in this
router from Inventel but have not had any response from them.
	If the above is true, is there anything else that can be done to get
Inventel to release the source ?

I assume you have given them a reasonable time to respond, and approached the correct e-mail address? May I suggest looking at http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2002-11/msg00082.html and talking to that guy directly. He may be more receptive.

Failing that, write a letter, by which I mean a physical one. E-mail is not a formal means of communication in many countries unfortunately. Tell them that you have informed the copyright holders (of which I am one) and that the copyright holders are also awaiting Inventel's response to you with interest.

If it's reached the stage of writing a letter (rather that talking to Xavier Debreuil) then you might consider upping the ante by highlighting to them section 4 of the GPL:

"  4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
except as expressly provided under this License.  Any attempt
otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License."

In other words... if they do not comply, they will be forced to withdraw *and recall* their product entirely.

But to be honest, I suspect more cock-up than conspiracy. Ignorance of the GPL requirements is the usual reason for non-compliance. There's probably no need to go out all guns blazing yet.

Note that they may well have published some of their patches on the ecos-patches list, as evinced by the above link. But that still doesn't absolve them of their obligations to give you the offer to obtain the source code. BTW, note that due to the special GPL exception clause with eCos, they are only required to provide code directly or indirectly derived from eCos/RedBoot. This may or may not be the code used to generate the entire binary.

	My understanding based on a response from Harald Welte (laforge at
gnumonks dot org ) and reading his gpl-violations.org website is that
the copyright holder would have to be the one to enforce their copyright
in France. If this is true, can the copyright owner request Inventel to
release the source ?

Ultimately yes, if necessary by going to court. That's very expensive and best avoided if it can be done by another route. But anyone can approach them and "remind" them of their legal obligations.

Please let ecos-maintainers [@] ecos.sourceware.org know how you get on.