Re: Making fragmented applications

Hi:

> As for the objloader package, it is new, has not been
> used much, and only works with MIPS and i386 at the moment.

Actually it is PowerPC and i386 but if you need the ARM port,
I can give you some pointers on how to do it.

Andrew is correct, it has not been tested much. Other than my
own use (quite extensive) I know of only one other user that
decided to give it a try. Don't get me wrong, it is not intrinsecally
unsafe, but it was submitted only a few months ago and has no
critical mass that can vouch for it suitability to any specific
application. New users willing to take the plunge are welcome
if they help make the product better.

> I need to provide them with eCos API, and my custom API, and my
> objectives was to provide the feature to update the application
> only, or the bios (including ecos) only, while maintaining a
> backward compatibility.

That looks like a good candidate for the objloader package. Once
you define the "interface API" between your BIOS and the "application"
and _keep_the_API_the_same_, then each function of your "application"
can be accessed via the objloader API.

As long as the application does not change its API, your are
good to go. Then you can give the third party developers access to the
eCos APIs by using the macros provided with the package and access
to other miscellaneous functions via your own macros.

Andrew has written a very nice, self-contained test program for the
package which works for the syntetic i386 and reads the library off
of a ROMFS disk which is created during the build process. The test
program covers every aspect of the package and I recommend that you
run the test and see for yourself if it is something that will work
for you.

Good luck
Tony