Re: Error building from CVS sources

> Of course, looking at the results in install/bin, I see that
> redboot.bin is approximately 72k.  I'm not sure that my application
> can spare that much for the bootloader -- I've got 256kB of Flash and
> 64kB of RAM, total.  Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here, or
> perhaps I just need to dig in and trim the thing down to what I need.
> How small can RedBoot get?  My target is an arm7tdmi, and I expect to
> use Thumb mode to cut down on code size.  (Specifically, I'm using an
> Atmel AT91SAM7X256 on a custom-designed board.  I expect to have to
> write my own HAL, of course, but I just used the existing pid target
> to get this far.)

For such a target it does not really make much sense to use RedBoot. I
suggest you actually just write ROM applications. The AT91SAM7X256 is
designed to run from ROM, it is no slower than running from RAM.

The more tricky problem is downloading code and the debugger. You need
a JTAG programmer to download the code and somehow need to also
connect gdb to JTAG. There is the cheap wiggler solution or more
expensive solutions like the BDI2000. You are also limited to two
hardware break points and no software breakpoints.

As for writing your own HAL that might not be necassary. There has
been at least two ports that i know of. I've seen the code for one,
but it needed some cleaning up before it could be incorperated into
the repository.

        Andrew