Re: Error building from CVS sources

> Oh, I was planning to run from ROM (i.e., Flash) mostly (except for
> interrupt vectors and handlers, which should be fast, and Flash is a
> bit slower than RAM), but the gdb interface of RedBoot was very
> appealing.  Of course, it didn't occur to me under just now that it
> presumably works by overwriting instructions at breakpoints to jump to
> RedBoot code (probably via a software interrupt?), which would not be
> entirely practical when running from Flash.

Yep, that is how software breakpoints work. So when running in FLASH
this will not work.

> Shall I assume also the eCos is a bit too heavy for such a system, or
> can it be trimmed down enough?  I have so far been going down the path
> of either writing my own simple RTOS or using Contiki (after having
> evaluated both FreeRTOS and Nut/OS and found them each unsuitable in
> one way or another), using either lwIP or uIP as the IP stack, but now
> that I've poked into eCos a bit it seems interesting.  Is it
> configurable enough to fit into 256kB Flash and 64kB RAM, including a
> TCP/IP stack and leaving room for some simple applications? (Assuming
> most of the code runs directly from Flash, that is.)

RAM is going to be your problem. The memory usage of the stack is
probably the most critical thing. With LWIP this is very configurable,
but i've never used it myself so cannot give you tips there. Others on
the list can probably help though.

        Andrew