Byte array address alignement

Hi,

I have very general compiler question. Since, there are a lot of experts here, I am sure I will get an answer :)

I see that most compiler follow this alignment rule for byte arrays (I guess structures too), that they get aligned at least on a 4byte boundary on a 32bit machine (like ARM or MIPS32 & so on).

I don?t know if this alignment is an artifact of something else or the tool-chain has a rule as such for doing so.

Can anyone who is familiar with this, throw some light on this subject?
1. I am curious to know if such a rule exists in C compilers?
2. If so, what is it called? It will be great if you could point me to some matrial.

Thanks a lot,
-Mike.

Sample code:

Char C1;