Re: redboot functionality from user application

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 02:23 -0800, Saurabh prakash wrote:
> hi ,
>
> i am a newbee, i have ported redboot to my custom
> powerpc
> board. i have used mbx template. i get redboot prompt
> and
> i can use commands like fis, fconfig, mfill, dump..
> etc.
>    my problem is that i want redboot functionality
> from my user
> application.i don't want a seperate redboot image. i
> have gone thru' anthony's book and he has mentioned
> somewhere that the final product should (ideally)have
> the rom-ram startup type and
> gives a diagnostic console terminal(like redboot)
> where we can
> give commands? IS THIS POSSIBLE. if yes how?

eCos does not provide such an environment as a standard
component.  However, it's simple enough to write such
a command line (UI) if you wish.

In general though, eCos applications are all about solving
a particular problem in the embedded environment.  This
seldom involves interactive command line processing such
as what you mention.

What's your application doing that it still needs such
functions?  or, alternatively, what is missing from just
the RedBoot environment for what you need (if you truly
need all these trappings)?