Re: save heap contents

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 07:42:20AM -0000, R S wrote:

> As part of my application, I need to save the contents of heap, so I can at
> any point later restore the heap to its previous state.
> Using mallinfo , I can get heap usage but inorder to copy its contents , I
> would need the exact memory address of used blocks and their corresponding sizes.
> I don't want to copy the entire heap as it might be too large. What would be
> the best way of acheiving this.?
> Any ideas in the direction will be highly appreciated.

!

What are you trying to implement? Suspend to disk? Checkpointing?

Anyway, you will need to get inside the malloc implementation and add
extra functionality.

packages/services/memalloc/common/current

The default malloc implementation is to use dlmalloc. It is also
possible to use a variable size pool, ie cyg_mempool_var_*. You might
find this easier to understand and extend with what you need.

        Andrew