Re: Accessing flash memory

In message <20060124134911.GB22772@lunn.ch>, Andrew Lunn writes:
>You have old sources. That was moved into the POSIX package in
>October.

Yes.  I am running the version distributed with the TAMS MOAB.  I can move
to a new version, but doing so makes the article harder to explain.

In this case, I think, it's worth it though.

>gettimeofday is a funny function anyway. It is only recently added to
>the POSIX standard, which is why it was not part of the POSIX package
>in the first place. The POSIX package was based on an older version of
>the standard which did not have gettimeofday.

Ahh, that makes sense.

>Once you do have gettimeofday() and if you have a wallclock driver,
>the time returned by time and gettimeoday should be "correct",
>assuming your battery is not flat etc. You might have to take care of
>timezones though.

As it happens, I don't even care whether it's correct, because the only thing
it's used for is checking whether input should have timed out.

*sigh*

But, thanks to your patience and explanations, I now know what's going on well
enough to have a working port of frotz to eCos that's complete enough to, for
instance, let me save and restore games to flash.

Took some figuring, although the most serious bug I had (restore never changed
anything) was in itself a beautiful bug; the save format records only changes
to the original story data, and I had casually assumed I didn't need two
copies of it, so I was very carefully recording a record of all changes
between a chunk of memory and the exact same chunk of memory.  Heh.

-s