anonymous CVS problem

Hello,

a while ago, I successfully checked out the ecos sources with WinCVS.
Now, I want to do an update, and that fails.
Checking out again the ecos sources (in another directory) also fails.
It fails both in WinCVS and in the Cygwin command line.

This is a command:

cvs -d :pserver;username=anoncvs;hostname=ecos.sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos

This is the result:

checkout -- ecos (in directory G:\version_test)
cvs [checkout aborted]: connect to ecos.sourceware.org:2401 failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Another attempt:

JL@tlv-tts-jl /cygdrive/f/version_ecos/ecos
$ cvs -z3 update -d -P
cvs [update aborted]: connect to ecos.sourceware.org:2401 failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

The network is OK, the port 2401 is open: I still can cvs to opencores.org

What could be the reason?

Kind regards,
--
Jürgen Lambrecht