Re: n00b PC booting questions

At 09:52 AM 2/9/2006, Steve West wrote:
We found a good solution to the IDE/PC boot problem as follows. This uses a 2 stage boot process.

Using win/98 format a usb flash device with system, this just prevents the use of a floppy.
Write a real mode level 2 bootloader to read eCos from IDE to memory.

I like the sound of this much better. Ok this is the point that I'm on, (writing the real mode level 2 bootloader).

I'd like to know:
        1) Where in memory should I put the redboot image?
        2) Where should I transfer control to that image?

And specifically, how can I get this information from Redboot ;-)

Be sure to build eCos with a GRUB not RAM load.

So if I build it with a GRUB load (rather than a RAM load) will it include the code to switch into protected mode? At the end of the day with redboot loaded I'd like to be able to load my "real" application through GDB over the network (this has worked in the past with floppy booting).

--Chuck