limited broadcast IP

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a simple way to get the eCos BSD stack (ver 2.1)
to send a limited broadcast IP.  I seem to recall a statement in the
Steven's Network programming book stating that this was platform dependent.
I could modify the device driver to wrap a broadcast frame header around a
raw IP packet via an ioctl but would prefer to work within the normal
network interface.  I have tried every combination of calls/modes that I can
think of but the best that I came up with was a broadcast frame with a
-network broadcast- destination IP adr.
I'm sorry that this isn't necessarily eCos specific and probably has a
simple solution, but I'm not sure which way to turn here.

Thanks for any help