Re: Porting on LPC2214

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:39:55PM -0800, Sridhar Sridhar wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to port eCos on LPCE2214 olimex proto type board.It has
> Ehternet and USB port and 256k Flash and 16k RAM. I have couple of
> questions.
> 1] I think eCos is available for LPC2XXX series in CVS. How much
> memory[ROM &RAM] will it take. and what are the limitations.

I've recently done a port to the AT91SAM7S familiy. My experiance is
that 16K RAM is small. eCos will run, but some of the standard tests
use too much RAM to fit in 16K. Normally it is the stacks which cause
the problem. You need to optimize there size. Even so, you are limited
with only 16K RAM.

> 2]Can I port using USB2.0.. which one is preferrable USB or Ethernet..

USB should be possible. As far as i know it makes no difference if its
USB2.0 or 1.1 in terms of the software. But i could be wrong....

> 3]Do i get Network stack for this perticular controller.LPCE2214..Any
> free sources.

eCos contains the lwip stack which is small. However i don't know how
much RAM you need for buffers etc. If i were you i would investigate
this first since i think it is high risk.

        Andrew