Re: eliminating redboot by including 'platform_setup' in default image?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 02:19:34PM +0530, vijay.peshkar@wipro.com wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Tried that. But then it had used flash addresses to run platform_setup
> And executing this code by downloading failed.

Yes, this is what you would expect. It is a ROM image after all!

> Also, I do not have any tool to flash the image to flash(am using
> multi-ice

Then i suggest you do get a flash programmer.

You have the normal chicken/egg problem. In order to get software into
the flash you need software running on the board. In order to get
software running on the board you need something in flash. Using a
flash programmer side steps this problem.

The other option is to get your multi-ice to setup the RAM in the same
way that a ROM application does when it starts up. You then need a RAM
application with built in stubs and you might have something that
runs.

> Finally it would not be a good idea to do bsp porting by flashing the
> test images?.

Why not? A lot will depend on how fast your flash programmer is. If it
takes 20 minutes than no, it is probably not practical. If it takes 1
minute than it is not a problem.

I've helped with a port to the AT91SAM7S which i flashed every image.

        Andrew