Debugging Redboot on IXP425

I have built a redboot image that runs fine on my IXDPG425 (Montejade)
eval board, but it locks up when I run it on my custom hardware.
I get no redboot console at all.

My custom hardware is based on the IXDPG425 but with some changes.
It is a prototype board and could have hardware faults, but I have
verified that the FLASH and SDRAM accesses are OK and the processor
is indeed running.

I can step through the program using Macraigor OCD Commander and my
Wiggler/Raven JTAG debuggers, and reboot starts up ok but eventually
(at some point far into the program) it just runs away and never
responds to the debugger again (except to processor reset)

Manually stepping through the program is painfully slow, and the OCD
Commander wont allow me to halt the program once I given it the "go"
instruction. Neither does it support breakpoints.
Is there any better way of debugging this thing?
I believe that I cannot use GDB remote to debug redboot itself (correct?)
--
Stewart Heitmann