Re: running ecos 2.0 on Excalibur

Warwick Brown wrote:

Thanks a lot for the document and your quick answer Warwick!,

(Sorry Warkwick, i think i sent this mail to you twice, first to your private mail)

I already had installed a cygwin from redhat site and the provided gnu tools.
In fact, I am able to compile a configuration and the application through these
tools. However i wondered if the gnupro tools provided by altera provided
additional or different features that those of redhat do not provide, making
then posible to target applications in a right way. I was tryning to build
configurations and application using gnupro tools. If a get it ill will report it.
On the other hand, if i did not missunderstand, the .epk package whose link
you provided should set a memory map and other defaults which should
work right with EPXA1, while the sources one can directly download from
ecos site are ready for EPXA10.

kind regards,
Fernando

Fernando Herrera wrote:

Warwick Brown wrote:

Hi Warwick,

thanks a lot for your quick answer. To be sincere it seems that you are
a bit forward than me. I got the quartus software to work in Windows and
i am tryint it to do it over Linux.
Respect to eCos, I am trying to solve a problem that appears when several
cygwin versions are crossed in my system. One of them is relatively new and
I installed it to have the wget command in order to download ecos sources.
The other is the quartus own version. Now i am trying to compile an ecos
configuration with the gnu pro tools distributed with quartus software. I
already compiled eCos configurations with the tools available at ecos site.
However, from the experiments i did, i suspect this does not work, so i am
trying to do it with gnupro tools.

I was not aware of the patch you mention, altough i suspected some kind
of modification of the port would be necessary. It is because the current
port is only for EPXA10 board? It is actually necesary a patch?... I will
keep you up to date if you want. If this is uninteresting for the forum I can
do it with your mail if you want.

regards

fernando

Hi Fernando,

I never bothered too much with the Quartus software, as I am more familiar with UNIX/Cygwin, but I found you did need Quartus installed to get the JTAG driver (which in itself is a pain to install, as you need to manually install the driver whilst the device is not connected).

AFAIK the EPXA10 is significantly different to the EPXA1, which is why I used the patch. I found the quartus tools not very useful for building eCos. I've attached my how-to for installing cygwin, I hope it helps. The "excalibur" port is the EPXA10, and will at least have a different memory map to that of the EPXA1.

If using the cvs sources, I found it preferable to use the configtool for applying the patch, and ecosconfig for the real configuration.

Kind Regards,

Warwick

Fernando Herrera
Microelectronics Engineering Group
E.T.S.I.Industriales y Telecom. TEISA Dpt.
University of Cantabria
Avda. Los Castros s/n, 39005
Santander, Spain
  fherrera@teisa.unican.es