Re: running ecos 2.0 on Excalibur

Hi Fernando, All,

> Finally I got loading and running  with the arm-elf-gdb non graphical
> program of redhat tools, the hello.elf application compiled with
> quartus
>  tools (thus, with gnupro tools).

I'm glad you made progress with quartus, I too noticed that the toolchain
was quite dated, which affirmed my reasoning not to use it, but if it work,
then good!

> The tricky point is to make  the next
> sequence:
>
> arm-elf-gdb hello.elf

I never got as far as getting it to run on the board, due to the start
address problems, let alone running it via gdb.

> Warwick, you mentioned that you load the application on 0x40000....
> I saw that the application compiled with quartus maps .text section
> in 0x8000h ,... maybe this helps.

Hmm, I was concentrating more on the .rom_vectors section, which specified
the 0x40000 address, which seemed to corespond with the memory layout file
and the start address shown by the JTAG flash tool.

Can you (or anyone else) confirm what the start address is set to on the
EPXA1? I was led to believe from reading some ARM documentation that a reset
of the device forces it to start at address 0x0?, but I noticed that
.fixed_vectors resides at 0x20, which suggests to me that the start address
is not 0x0? otherwise it might conflict with .rom_vectors.

> > I give some data that maybe can be interesting in this issue.
> > I saw that gnu tools i downloaded are the 3.2.1  version, while
> > the gnupro provided by altera are 2.96.-arm9-020528, in deed
> > older version.

Interesting, I was under the impression that there was no difference between
gnupro and the gnu tools other than the level of support provided by redhat.

Also, if you have problems with the .epk file, it's really just a .tar.gz,
you can just unpack it, copy it into the source tree, and then append the
newpkg.txt contents to ecos.db. I had to use this method because the package
admin tool complained about tar blocksize (=20!?) when I applied the EPXA1
patch.

Kind Regards,

Warwick