Re: Real time performance

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 11:54 +0200, Giovanni Friolo Ma.Vi. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a RattlerPCI board to send a receive Ethernet packets in full
> duplex mode. I set "RTC denominator" to 10000 and "ticks between timeslices"
> to 50 and i obtained a throughput rate of a packet every 340us. Changing
> this values in order to obtain better performance produce the folliwing
> error:
>
> ASSERT FAIL: <2>mutex.cxx[249]cyg_bool Cyg_Mutex::lock() Locking mutex I
> already own
>
> Can anyone help me to correctly configure eCos to achive the best
> performance. I want to send a receive packets with a bit of elaboration at a
> rate of a packet every 200us.

The system clock rate has no effect on how fast you can receive packets.

If you try to run the system clock at a rate of one every 50us (which is
what you've selected), you will saturate the system just trying to keep
up with the clock interrupts.

As for receiving a packet every 200us, how big are they?  what's the
source (i.e. can it send packets at that rate)?  what sort of network
is this on (congested, etc)?