Using a different toolchain

Hi all.  I'm trying to find hints on how to get ecos to build using a
non-stock toolchain.  It's gcc, but not one of the canned ones that
comes with ecos.

First, is there a way to convince ecosconfig and friends to generate a
different tool prefix in the makefiles?  It seemed like it was
designed for that, but I couldn't find it.  If not, it's no big deal,
I can tweak the makefiles after generation.

Second, is there documentation on what sections and other
constructions are required in the linker script?  I tried using a
linker script from another (non-ecos) project, but that failed
miserably.  I have the impression that the script I'm using just
doesn't have enough in it, but I don't speak ld well enough to know
what I'm missing.  Do I just need to go read up on that stuff in order
to get my linker script right?

Any other hints or things I should look at?  TIA...