Re: fat filename length

"Scott Bailie" <bailie@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> I've noticed that only 8.3 filenames under FAT.  I poked around in
> fatfs_supp.c where it looks like this limitation is hard coded.  Has anyone
> made the necessary changes to support long filenames?  Is there any plan to
> do so?

Long file names require quite a lot of changes to the filesystem. We
(eCosCentric) have added LFN support to our version of the FATFS. This
is currently available through our eCosPro product.

There are also patent issues with Microsoft, which means that many
commercial users are reluctant to use LFN at present.

--
Nick Garnett                                 eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com            The eCos and RedBoot experts