Re: how to measure time from within flash_program_buf

Neundorf, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the Intel 28fxxx flash driver there is a timeout used, and this
> timeout is specified as a simple loop which is executed 5000000
> times. Now we have a fast processor and a slow flash, so for us this
> timeout isn't big enough. We could simply increase the count, but
> this still depends on flash and processor speed.

I'd have suggested putting HAL_DELAY_US() macro calls in the loop.  That
would give you a lower bound on the timeout.  However, I think it it has
the same problem as HAL_CLOCK_READ() below.

How about sticking a few more functions (like hal_delay_us) in .2ram ?

> Ideally we'd like to use HAL_CLOCK_READ() to measure the time, but
> this isn't possible since hal_clock_read() is located in the section
> .text which is in the flash, but flash_program_buf() is located in
> the section .data which is located in RAM. When calling
> hal_clock_read() the linker complains and more importantly it won't
> work since the flash is busy while it is being programmed.

David Vrabel
--
David Vrabel, Design Engineer

Arcom, Clifton Road           Tel: +44 (0)1223 411200 ext. 3233
Cambridge CB1 7EA, UK         Web: http://www.arcom.com/