Re: USB with eCos?

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:31:23PM -0700, Sarah A Bailey wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm currently working on a project with Portland State Aerospace
> Society[1] that involves using eCos on an LPC2148 board.  I've used
> Pawel Wodnicki's patch[2] to port eCos and a simple "hello blinky
> world" program to the board.
>
> Eventually, we'd like to use the LPC2148 in a USB application.  I've
> been reading the current documentation on writing a USB device driver
> with eCos, and I have a couple questions:
>
> First, is it still true that there's only been one USB device driver
> written with eCos?

No, this is wrong. For many years there has been two in
anoncvs. Recently one for the AT91 was added. There is also a driver
for the DS12 soon to be added soon and i know of two other drivers
which have been written and might get added. There has been a recent
boom in USB!

> (I know documentation doesn't always keep up with
> the code base.)  Is the lack of USB drivers due to flaws in eCos, a
> steep learning curve, no need for USB drivers, or something else?

I think it has been lack of need. However USB itself can be hard to
get right, so don't underestimate the learning curve, time, tools,
silicom bugs etc.

> Where is that USB device driver located in the repository?

packages/devs/usb

> Has anyone added isocronous transfer support to the eCos USB base?

No, no one has contrubted support for this.

> The documentation seemed to imply this was something that would be
> added soon.  I'm willing to work on this, but I wanted to check first
> and see if someone else was.

Contributions would be welcome.

> Whew, that was a lot of questions. :)  Thanks in advance for any answers.

No problems.

   Andrew