Re: Application and redboot, using same IP address?

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 19:13 -0400, Andre-John Mas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use the fconfig IP values, set in Redboot, from
> our application. The idea being that the Redboot is the
> command line used to set values that would not otherwise
> need to be changed remotely. While hunting through the archives,
> I came across this post:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org/msg01854.html
>
> Can anyone confirm to me the validity of that answer? We only
> have one network port, so I am not sure how a boot and an application
> can have separate IP addresses? I thought that the Redboot would
> simply hand off to the application?
>
> We do want to eventually debug our application using GBB, so I don't
> want to do anything that would prevent us from doing this.

That post is entirely accurate - if you want to use RedBoot's stack
to run GDB, then RedBoot needs to use one IP address and your
application needs to use another.  This is how RedBoot and your
eCos application can keep their data (use of the wire) separate.