Re: Splitting the eCos repository

> Consider: how do I store a snapshot of eCos under source control?
> Tricky. I keep a .zip of the entire eCos repository under CVS. Then I
> unzip  & work on the eCos repository. Once I've made changes(or
> updated to the latest eCos CVS), I zip up the entire dir and place it
> under CVS. CVS is terribly inefficient with this sort of
> thing(sloooow), should work better with subversion that has binary
> diff capability(.zip should work better than e.g. tar.bz2 for binary
> diff).

What recommend for a product development is take an eCos snapshot,
test it, and then freeze it. You can store this as a zipfile
somewhere. Then start work on your port. Keep only the patch to the
snapshot in CVS. The patch will be small and plain ASCII. So CVS will
have no trouble with it. You can easily write some scripts to generate
the patch and to apply the patch.

> >Support for multiple repositories is great for experienced users. I
> >have about 20 different repositories at the moment, a mixture of
> >branches and development trees, and my ECOS_REPOSITORY path has six
> >entries. However I see no reason for inflicting multiple repositories
> >on novice users. They have enough to learn as it is.
>
> Before any reasonably well organised(i.e. they use some source control
> on their own stuff and care about eCos CVS HEAD versions/snapshots)
> and non-trivial product is finished, I believe that they would have
> wished that they had been introduced to multiple repositories.

By which time they will no longer be a novice user, and can think
about doing it for there second project.....

      Andrew